Tuesday, August 21, 2007

... sleep? .... ummmm .... who me?


When we got back from Sydney sleeping became a huge issue. Jake was extremely unsettled, in fact I would say as bad as he was right at the beginning before he was medicated. So back to the doctor and back onto the Losec for his reflux. Cross fingers and hope we get the happy baby back....



Well the Losec kicked in and the unhappiness settled down, but the nights didn't. Jake just wanted to be fed back to sleep by mummy and her nice warm breasts rather than try to put himself back to sleep. After a week, towards the end of June, I hit rock bottom. Sleep deprivation was killing me and I found myself yelling at Jake to go back to sleep at 3am after his 3rd wake and feed. He was hysterical, I was hysterical....not the best settling technique ... time to go back to the doctor.


We are very lucky to have an amazing GP who has had reflux babies and his level of empathy is amazing. Jake did not need the night BF - he was eating 3 huge meals a day plus fruit at morning and afternoon tea, and 4 breastfeeds. So my GP tells me time to do Controlled Crying... NO WAY I say... "it's ok" he tells me "you won't be doing it bcos you will be asleep... your husband will be doing it. You will spend the week on sleeping tablets."


And so I did.....


Wow .... what a difference sleep can make... and do you know my little monkey was rather upset the first time Daggles went in on the first night, but Daddy got him settled with lots of cuddles then he only woke once more. After that he only woke once a night and resettled very quickly each time. Now he may wake once or twice but generally resettles himself. If I hadn't had that week respite I think I would probably be getting treated to PND ....



So by the end of June, beginning of July, life was going pretty well until Jake's top two teeth cut....

They caused red cheeks, red bum, cranky boy and so much grief that I am not looking forward to the next set of teeth!

I hope the next set come in quickly and painlessly - but that would be wishful thinking!



So to bring you up to end of July Jake started crawling for real and started to get into everything he wasn't supposed to... all of my "dust collectors" and photos have been packed away, and I forget how tall Jake is - his hands quest their way along the table top looking for anything to grab!






But he is now so much fun and he is the best time waster around! We sing, play and have a ball every day... well most days.... and Jake is just the most beautiful boy - a lovely sweet nature and just a real cuddle bunny. He has also started posing for his photos and has developed a "pose" and a fake smile.





No comments: